So in my last posting of the PiPlanter source code, the python script alone was 500 lines long. The intent with was to make things more modular and generic compared to the original version of the code that ran two years ago. Since the project has expanded a considerable amount since two summers ago, my goal of keeping everything short and concise isn’t really valid anymore so I’ve decided to split the code up into modules.
This improves a number of things, but it makes it kind of inconvenient to simply paste the full version of the source into a blog post. To remedy this, I’ll be utilizing www.esologic.com/source, something I made years ago to host things like fritzing schematics.
The newest publicly available source version can be found here: http://192.168.1.37/source/PiPlanter_2/ along with some documentation and schematics for each version to make sure everything can get set up properly. What do you think of this change? Will you miss the code updates in the body text of a blog post?
With all that out of the way, let’s talk about the actual changes I’ve made since the last post.
The first and foremost is that using Pillow, I’ve added a way to overlay text onto the timelapse frames like so:
Ambient Light: 27.1%, Ambient Temp: 47.0DF, Average Plant Mst: 0.0% http://t.co/YqLJkOJ2FG pic.twitter.com/Ms2nk6OLAo
— piplanter_bot (@piplanter_bot) November 21, 2014
Ambient Light: 73.3%, Ambient Temp: 54.5DF, Average Plant Mst: 23.7% http://t.co/YqLJkOJ2FG #PiPlanter pic.twitter.com/QocHKcTE55 — piplanter_bot (@piplanter_bot) November 22, 2014
This was prompted by some strange behavior by the plants I noticed recently seen here:
I thought it was strange how the chive seemed to wilt and then stand back up and then wilt again, it would have been nice to be able to see the conditions in the room to try and determine what caused this. Hopefully I can catch some more behavior like this in the future.
Here is the new Image function with the text overly part included if you’re curious:
Now that I’ve got the PIL as part of this project, I’ll most likely start doing other manipulations / evaluations to the images in the future.
Okay! Thanks for reading.