Smart Speaker | Full Working Prototype

Here is a video of the whole thing working:

The whole system works! If you look at this post, which basically shows the whole thing can be battery powered as well. The following photos show the way the cable is run out the back of the housing. Both sets of the 3 wires are tied together and then to the output of the digital pot:

Contrary to what I thought, the 10k ohm digital pot can change the volume just fine! To be safe though, I ordered an SPI digital Pot that can do 50k ohm resistance.

Here is the new working version of the code as well:

The only difference between this one and the last version I posted was the height of the check value. I made it further away from the sensor.

Before the code is “finished” I would like to add a few things. The first being an averaging loop in the raw input ; instead of just using variations of map(analogRead(IR_rangefinder),20,600,0,9); each time, I’d like to maybe write my own function that is more general for assigning comparison. The downside to this however is that it may slow things down and the top priority with this project is keeping it fast and accurate.

Smart Speaker | Amp Teardown and Potentiometer Problem

Here are images of the teardown:

A couple of things to note: I over heated the pads when removing the gain pot and lifted a trace by accident. Instead of soldering directly into the lug hole, I just tied directly to the resistor that is in series with the pot signal.

I also am also not going to be able to use the digital pot I have been working with so far. Note the image that shows the pot with a resistance of 50k, and the one I’ve been working with is 10k.

I’m going to order a pair of these, and many of these to try and solve the bluetooth static problem.

Smart Speaker | Proximity Potentiometer Working Prototype

A direct follow up to this post: http://192.168.1.37/?p=984


First, here’s a video:

I got the digital potentiometer working! It was very simple using the SPI library built into the Arduino software. All you have to do is address the chip and then write it a value between 0 and 255 to set the resistance value. Here is the code for this version, I’ve cleaned it up a bit since last time:

If you have questions about the code please leave it in the comments.

Smart Speaker | Proximity Potentiometer Proof of Concept

New project! First, here’s a video:

This is the proof of concept for the volume control of the speaker system. In it’s final form, this sensor will be exposed to the outside and will allow users to control the volume without opening the system, preserving the fidelity of the inside. For example, imagine a user is at the beach and wants to change the volume but they have sand covered hands or wet hands. This system will solve that problem.

The sensor is the Sharp GP2Y0A41SK0F. Here are some very very macro shots of sensors inner workings.

But now for what you came here for, the code. It’s very poorly commented as this is just a prototype, but it’s better than nothing. As this project progresses I’ll posted updated versions of this code.

This demo also relies heavily this shift register. I still haven’t decided if i’m going to use a buzzer to interact with the user or if I’m going to use these bar graphs.

Here are some photos of the board if you want to try and work out the schematic:

PiPlanter 2 | Little Plants 1 / Germination Setup

The plants are coming along quite nicely, here is an album of images:

As for my grow setup in this stage, it’s pretty simple. Basically I keep the two desk lamps I have from that area on 24/7 and on the plants. Every morning I put about a half gallon into each of the trays. I also spray about 8oz onto the surface of the plants. Working pretty well so far, all of this growth is only after a week and two days.

PiPlanter 2 | Update / Dirt / Germs

Hi! In order to do PiPlanter 2 at the scale I want, as always, I need money. I’m applying to this grant to hopefully take this project to unreal new heights. In order to apply, one of the component is assembling a budget. In order to do that though, I need to “complete” the whole project… in my head. I have to be able to think of exactly how I want to do the project. From PCB design to pump system, I have to plan it all in order to assemble a realistic budget. There is a lot of good work that comes with this, like schematics and the budget itself. I’ll for sure upload all of the documentation.

On a more stimulating note: I’ve planted the tomato plants in the same manor that I did last summer and here are some pictures of the growth so far.

Here is the dirt and planted seeds:

Here are some very small sprouts that have developed in the last two days.

PiPlanter 2 | Getting Started Again

So I have decided to re write the PiPlanter from the ground up. In essence, it will accomplish the same exact thing but I’d like it to be a lot more of a stable platform to expand upon in the future. I’d also like PiPlanter to be professional enough to bring to market. First off there are a few things you’d need install & a few modifications you’d need to make to Raspian. First thing’s first, you’ll need to enable SPI in the kernel so:

Comment out the spi-bcm2708 line so it looks like this:

Then run this to make it more permanent.

Now for the real meat of it. You’ll need these packages for SPI and the WiringPi library makes things a whole lot easier for us. This program also relies very heavily

Revised python code next post.